MobyGames is an online video game database website, that catalogs games from various decades, and video game companies. It was founded on January 30, 1999 by Jim Leonard and Brian Hirt.
Structure of the base
The data is entered into the database by registered users, but before it is published online, it must be verified and approved by the administration or a small group of expert users.
Information contained on the page
- Description, summarizing the plot, and defining the type of gameplay.
- Release date, developer, publisher, platforms, genre.
Additioal content on the page
- Critic/users reviews
- Promo images
- Cover arts
- Alternate titles
- Part of the following groups
- Related websites
Why It's Fresh
- It has highly-detailed information about games, companies, and people who were involved. Unlike other databases like GameFAQs, some pages have credits to show who exactly was involved in the development of the game. It also shows which developers exactly ported a game. Information mistakes are rare in MobyGames, which shows that users are usually doing good research.
- It gathers reviews from various websites to give the score of the game. Unlike sites like Metacritic, you can add reviews yourself, which were reviewed by different editors, even the most famous ones.
- The database has a large number of games and developers covered on the site. What's even better is that there are also added pages about games that came out in limited regions, for example some Europe-only games or regional exclusive games.
- Its navigation and features are easy to use.
- It has a variety of games and lists that are related to the topic of the game.
- The logo of MobyGames looks cool, which expect of a name, also featured a whale, holding a game controller. Unlike many modern company logos, it is the reverse of simplification as the logo has more content than the old MobyGames logo.
The Only Bad Quality
- Contributing might take too long to check because as mentioned before, administrators or expert users need to check recent contributions.